Monday, November 19, 2007

This is a really good time to introduce you to Hove Parfumeur, an old, ooooold favorite of mine. This family-owned old-fashioned parfumery sits in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans and offers a wide variety of very unique, haunting scents. If I were going to New Orleans, I would not miss a visit to this shop but even those travel-challenged like myself can enjoy the mystique from far, far away. They are online! (Linked from my favorites bar for your continuing convenience.)

Hove has provided me my signature scent, which I wear when I'm on the prowl. But it also inspired me to expand my interest beyond aromatherapy and pure essential oils into the exploration of infused natural scent oils. My favorites are light florals like lilac and gardenia, blended with light touches of essential oils like sandalwood and amber.

Scent, even without the therapeutic properties of essential oils, is a powerful influence on our happiness and health. Any sensory stimulation is going to impact our psyches and physiologies in ways very easily explained and completely mystifying. But we are human animals after all. We can insulate our connection to our natural environment, but we can never completely severe the relationship. Thank goodness!

Do you like the way you smell? Does your home invite you in with its scent? Do you experiment with new scents and their influence on your world? It's worthy research.

Love a bunch,
Sophie